Physical Education Fitness Project 5-7th Grade
Objective: Students will create and track goals for muscular endurance (push-ups and sit-ups) and cardiovascular endurance (jump rope). Students will be able to identify and explain the importance of the 5 components of physical fitness
How: At the beginning of every class, students will complete stations including push-ups, sit-ups, and jump rope. Students will mark down each day how many sets and repetitions of each activity they were able to complete. Students will then make short term and long term goals to try to reach by the end of the school year.
Students will also be given worksheets to be completed about the five components of physical fitness. Students will have time during class to complete the assignment but may also finish the worksheet at home.
Specifications for goals and tracking:
- Daily Log: Students must write down each class the number of sets and repetitions completed for push-ups, sit-ups, and jump rope.
- Students must have a minimum of 1 short term goal and 1 long term goal.
- Short Term Goal must include present date, the exercise, the amount of repetitions you can complete, the amount of repetitions you want to be able to complete, and the date you will try to achieve the goal by. (Example: On April 12, 2018, I am able to complete 5 pushups. By April 26, 2018, I want to be able to complete 6 pushups.) Short term goals cannot be longer than 2 weeks.
- Short term goals will be re-written once they are achieved or if the goal date has been reached.
- Long Term Goal must include the exercise, the amount of repetitions you can complete, the amount of repetitions you want to be able to complete, and the date you will try to achieve the goal by which is June 8th.
Physical Education Fitness Project Rubric
- Includes title, name, class, and picture 3 2 1 0
- Sets and Repetitions for push-ups are recorded each day 3 2 1 0
- Sets and repetitions for sit-ups are recorded each day 3 2 1 0
- Sets and repetitions for jump rope are recorded each day 3 2 1 0
- Each day of exercise includes the date 3 2 1 0
- A minimum of 1 short term goal for each exercise 3 2 1 0
- A minimum of 1 long term goal for each exercise 3 2 1 0
- Each short term goal has all requirements 3 2 1 0
- Each long term goal has all requirements 3 2 1 0
3 = All criteria met
2 = Most of criteria met
1= Meets requirement minimally
0= Does not exist